We owe a lot to Resident Evil turbofan and former IGN contributor Alex Aniel, known on Twitter as @cvxfreak. Back when translation wasn’t available during the TGS showing for Resident Evil Village, he provided us with much-needed English updates.
Now, he’s gotten ahold of the latest Famitsu issue, which gives us a little bit of new information for Resident Evil Village.
Some Early Resident Evil Village Story Info
First, he outlines some of the things we learn about your first few moments in the titular village.
For starters, it seems Chris is the one who dumped Ethan on this remote European village. Why, we don’t know yet. We’re not even sure how long he’s out. After he awakens, though, he follows a path and finds himself in said village, which has seen better days.
Some of the photos raise questions, too. In one, a ring of villagers can be seen, praying. They’re guarded by the beast people we’ve seen so far. This invokes a little bit of the Los Illuminados cult feeling we had in Resident Evil 4.
There’s also a bit about the trench coat villager, who most definitely is some kind of merchant. There’s more on him later. They also specify that the shaman-like old woman is also integral to Ethan’s survival, though how is left unclear.
Lastly, they talk about the folk tale that Mia talks about early on. It certainly seems to be connected to the plot in some way, but again, how is obviously left up to us to discover.
Q&A w/ Peter Fabiano and Tsuyoshi Kanda
- Q: Is the guy who shows up at Ethan’s house actually Chris himself?
- “Yes, it is Chris himself. Of course, we can’t tell you why he’s doing what he’s doing right now…”
- Q: You say the village acts as “another protagonist.” Are you including the actual villagers here?
- A: “When we say that, it encompasses the scale of both the villagers and the village itself. The village and villagers have a presence in on par with the protagonists themselves.”
- Q: In the trailer, we can see a fetus-like symbol and other patterns. It feels a bit scary since this looks like an unknown religion.
- A: “Perhaps the villagers recite those prayers in order to protect themselves from danger. It makes you want to know just whom they really are.”
- Q: We can’t help but wonder if the creatures are intelligent. They seem to attack in groups…
- A: “They can’t speak a language, but they do behave as a pack/swarm and can even wield weapons.”
- Q: The guy who says, “if it’s just looking, window shop away” reminds us of the merchant from Resident Evil 4.
- A: “We can’t go into detail, but he will certain be someone Ethan’s life will depend on.”
- Q: Tell us about the two 25th anniversary logos and the concept art.
- A: “We wanted to commemorate the 25th anniversary by focusing on what makes RE cool, iconic and beautiful. That’s why we have two icons. For the illustration, Art Director Takano was worried about which characters to choose and how the layout should be, but we think he made choices that were appropriate for commemorating the 25th anniversary.”
- Q: We were quite infatuated with the art book scene. Do these scenes appear in the actual game?
- A: “They’re not playable, but the scenes do appear in the game.”