The Entertainment Software Rating Board (ESRB) ratings provide concise information on games and apps so consumers, especially parents, can make informed choices. ESRB ratings have three parts:
- Rating Categories suggest age appropriateness
- Content Descriptors indicate content that may have triggered a particular rating and/or may be of interest or concern
As a supplementary source of information, boxed video games have ESRB Rating Summaries that provide a more detailed description of the content that factored into the rating assigned.
Titles rated EC (Early Childhood) have content that may be suitable for ages 3 and older. Contains no material that parents would find inappropriate.
Titles rated E (Everyone) have content that is generally suitable for all ages. May contain minimal cartoon, fantasy or mild violence and/or infrequent use of mild language.
Titles rated E10+ (Everyone 10 and older) have content that is generally suitable for ages 10 and up. May contain more cartoon, fantasy or mild violence, mild language and/or minimal suggestive themes.themes.
Titles rated T (Teen) have content that is generally suitable for ages 13 and up. May contain violence, suggestive themes, crude humor, minimal blood, simulated gambling, and/or infrequent use of strong language.
Titles rated M (Mature) have content that is generally suitable for persons ages 17 and up. May contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language.
Titles rated AO (Adults Only) have content that is only suitable for persons ages 17 and up. May contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language.
Titles listed as RP (Rating Pending) have not yet been assigned a final ESRB rating. (This symbol appears only in advertising and promotional materials prior to a game’s release, and will be replaced by a game’s rating once it has been assigned.)
- Alcohol Reference – Reference to and/or images of alcoholic beverages.
- Animated Blood – Discolored and/or unrealistic depictions of blood.
- Blood – Depictions of blood.
- Blood and Gore – Depictions of blood or the mutilation of body parts.
- Cartoon Violence – Violent actions involving cartoon-like situations and characters. May include violence where a character is unharmed after the action has been inflicted.
- Comic Mischief – Depictions or dialogue involving slapstick or suggestive humor.
- Crude Humor – Depictions or dialogue involving vulgar antics, including “bathroom” humor.
- Drug Reference – Reference to and/or images of illegal drugs.
- Fantasy Violence – Violent actions of a fantasy nature, involving human or non-human characters in situations easily distinguishable from real life.
- Intense Violence – Graphic and realistic-looking depictions of physical conflict. May involve extreme and/or realistic blood, gore, weapons, and depictions of human injury and death.
- Language – Mild to moderate use of profanity.
- Lyrics – Mild references to profanity, sexuality, violence, alcohol, or drug use in music.
- Mature Humor – Depictions or dialogue involving “adult” humor, including sexual references.
- Nudity – Graphic or prolonged depictions of nudity.
- Partial Nudity – Brief and/or mild depictions of nudity.
- Real Gambling – Player can gamble, including betting or wagering real cash or currency.
- Sexual Content – Non-explicit depictions of sexual behavior, possibly including partial nudity.
- Sexual Themes – References to sex or sexuality.
- Sexual Violence – Depictions of rape or other violent sexual acts.
- Simulated Gambling – Player can gamble without betting or wagering real cash or currency.
- Strong Language – Explicit and/or frequent use of profanity.
- Strong Lyrics – Explicit and/or frequent references to profanity, sex, violence, alcohol, or drug use in music.
- Strong Sexual Content – Explicit and/or frequent depictions of sexual behavior, possibly including nudity.
- Suggestive Themes – Mild provocative references or materials.
- Tobacco Reference – Reference to and/or images of tobacco products.
- Use of Alcohol – The consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- Use of Drugs – The consumption or use of illegal drugs.
- Use of Tobacco – The consumption of tobacco products.
- Violence – Scenes involving aggressive conflict. May contain bloodless dismemberment.
- Violent References – References to violent acts.