Fear the 90’s
Publisher Destructive Games and the talented developer Invader Studios will launch their third-person survival horror game, Daymare: 1998, September 17 for $29.99 USD on PC via Steam. The game will release on PS4 and Xbox One, though no date is set.
Mid-May a demo for the game was released for testers on Steam and more recently, a public demo came out. I highly suggest downloading the demo and checking it out for yourself! You will instantly be at home with a new, but familiar experience. Players will also hear the familiar voice of Paul Haddad (voice actor of Leon S. Kennedy in 1998’s Resident Evil 2) and (SPOILER) an easter egg calling back to the franchise in one of the first puzzles. Download Demo on Steam
Welcome to your Daymare
Daymare: 1998 is a third-person, multi-character story survival horror game built on the Unreal Engine 4. The setup and story are in the same vein as Resident Evil franchise. (You can feel the homage to the classic series from the first few minutes of the demo) You need to be strategic in your approach to its enemies and complex puzzles. (Watch out! Ammo is scarce!)
From the website: Unravel the obscured past of Keen Sight, Idaho, a peaceful and quiet town tucked away in the seemingly endless woods of Idaho. Stunning and immersive 3D environments, both indoor and outdoor, await you in the absolutely terrifying yet equally thrilling adventure that is Daymare: 1998.
The scene is set with a secret research facility, a deadly chemical weapon, and a special security team tasked with investigating an incident with the potential to become more than a routine security breach. Follow the steps of an elite soldier, a helicopter pilot, and a forest ranger as they play out their roles in an event that transforms one peaceful small town into a dead-zone and its citizens into bloodthirsty monsters. Take the creatures down first, and then look for any clues or evidence that you can piece together to make sense of the chaos. Keep track of your inventory, as resources will be scarce! Anything can happen when your daymares become real.
- Multi-character POV – See the story from different angles and discover the truth.
- Fearsome enemies – Rendered in detail with lifelike animations and dismemberment.
- Realistic HUD – Check your inventory, health, and the position of a given piece of equipment.
- Environmental puzzles – Finding your way around is not always easy, so look for clues.
- Classic mechanics – Limited ammo and save points, backtracking, collectibles, tough enemies, and more.
- Modern graphics and effects – Not everything is old-school, thanks to Unreal Engine 4.
- Experience the 90s – The game is an homage to the era, with tons of references.